Sunday, September 17, 2017

I Learned A LOT This Week!

What a week. I literally have no idea where to start...

We met with some members and two referrals for dinner Monday night. Chinese food is so good! I have gotten really good at chopsticks and I know how lick a bone clean of its meat!  That was a challenge at first because we don’t deal with bones very much in America, but bones are in everything here!  It’s been fun to learn how to eat the food here all while having people critique my etiquette and style of eating. I really have enjoyed that haha (:  The two referrals are super nice and we have dinner again with them tomorrow night.  They are excited to see what we have to teach them (; They have no idea what they are getting themselves into! (eternity.. that’s what ;)

Then we had zone conference and it was the most spiritual zone conference I have ever been in. The Spirit was so strong and led the entire first two hours  We know this because nothing the leadership planned to teach was taught. . . It was 100% sihng lihng ge daai lihng!! (lead by the Spirit) I loved hearing from President Lam.  He talked about Christ’s Atonement and how it wasn't easy for Him either.  He even asked God if there was any way this could be easier. So every time you ask God, 'Why can't this be easier?', just remember that you are not the first one to ask that question.


Then on Friday night we had a really draining lesson with an investigator and it threw me into a funk. I have no idea what came over me, but I was scared out of my mind and didn't know what to do. So I closed out everyone, including my companion and prayed and prayed and wasn't feeling the spirit or hope or anything. I felt dark, lost, and ENTIRELY ALONE.  It lasted the rest of the night and into the next day. Then the next day around 3pm we had a lesson with a less active member. We planned to go in and teach him about Nephi’s challenge to get the brass plates and how it was hard, even though the Lord provided a way for him to do it. We ended up not even mentioning Nephi’s name, and this man told us his whole story.  When he finished I started crying. . . cuz I do that. . .  and I told him the parable of the lost sheep.  He sat there, watching me cry.  Then he said, “I haven't had a conversation like this in a really long time. I've forgotten what this feels like.”  I asked him, “Do you miss it?”.  The Spirit filled the room. This man then expressed a desire for his wife to meet with us and a desire to try again, 20 years later, to come back. PEOPLE! This is PROOF that God is real and that this church is true! This man left the church for money and family and a job, then he felt the Spirit in one small moment and it changed his life. We are meeting with him again this week and fasted with him yesterday that his wife would open her heart as well and listen to the message of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. DO NOT give up on this Church! It’s not worth it. Don't take a break. Don't complain! A wise woman reminded me of a quote from Mother Teresa:  “Be faithful in the small things, because it is in them that your strength lies." Mother Teresa nailed it!  Do the little things and great blessing will follow! 

I was told before my mission to learn to teach the way that Christ teaches, so the past 8 months I have studied ‘Jesus the Christ’ and Christ’s life in the Bible. I’ve been trying and trying to figure out the best way to teach.  This week I finally realized how simple it is!  It’s not just through parables and example that He taught people, but it is through the Spirit!  You can ONLY teach in the Lord’s way through the power of the Spirit (from PMG . . . it’s that simple!)  You can receive the Spirit through prayer and faith!  I can't believe it took me till this last Saturday to realize that the way the Savior taught was through the Spirit. I knew that before, but never connected the dots till this last Saturday.

Overall, I have learned A LOT this week haha (:
I love you all, have a good week!!
Love Sister Webb

An amazing zone conference!  

The Gunyam Statue . . . she is the Buddha of  Compassion. Beautiful!





We never tire of the amazing food here!

More cheng outs!

Moon cake!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amanda - such amazing stories and experiences! Thanks for sharing your ups and downs, and growth, so honestly. You are an inspiration. Love always, Teena Jelsma

    ReplyDelete