Sunday, November 12, 2017

Why I'm Not An English Speaking Missionary

I have got this personality trait in me that I didn’t know I had before. I kind of like to take control of things when nothing is getting done. As you all know from last week, as of right now, we don’t have many investigators, in fact we barely have one. We have been finding and finding all week, but you can’t knock doors in Hong Kong and you can’t proselyte in a lot of places, so our finding places are limited. We have been meeting with members and asking for referrals.

I had the thought this week that it’s probably a good thing I’m not an English speaking missionary.  If the people here could understand English, we all might be in trouble!  I am finding that I want to be BOLD and DIRECT when someone doesn’t want to receive our message.  It really pains my spirit to see one of my brothers or sisters reject the message we have.  I picture the soul of that person dropping their head in sorrow.  I almost feel their soul talking to my soul, perhaps a tear or two rolling down their cheek, and in a disappointing tone telling me their mortal self just isn’t ready yet.  It’s so sad and my overbearing missionary self wants to say in a BOLD voice, “Look what you’re doing to your spirit! You are missing out on giving yourself the opportunity to have eternal life! You are rejecting a plan you already agreed with and your Spirit is suffering because of your pride and unwillingness to let God into your life!"

THEN I just have to remind myself what God would say: "You've helped nourish or plant a seed. Now let Me be the gardener and nourish that seed the way that I’ve had planned from the beginning!" It is a good thing we have such a wise gardener nourishing the seeds we plant!  I have to ask for help and faith  to  trust in His timing A LOT!

Otherwise this week we had a really good time meeting with members. We presented a ward mission plan to them and it was fun to see some of them get really excited to accomplish all the things on the mission plan. They all shared stories of times they have shared the gospel with someone in their life and how it has touched the person.  Some shared stories where they shared the gospel and were rudely rejected. Most of all I love hearing the member’s testimonies. The member’s love for missionary work in Hong Kong is unreal. They are all trying so hard, even the kids. God has a plan for the people of Hong Kong and I am grateful to be a part of it.  I feel the majority of growth is coming from these phenomenal members though!  It’s just astounding! So keep up the good work fellowshipping and helping the Lord’s missionaries back home. Remember that they are called of God to serve in your area for a reason.  Do all you can to help them find out why they were called to your area.  This is only 18 months to 2 years of their lives!  Help make it memorable and meaningful to them.  Let them know that they are doing a great work and that you’re proud of them, even if they don’t have a big teaching pool or many baptisms.  I’ve come to feel that the members here are my family.  Think of your missionaries as your family and help them feel loved and appreciated!

I went on exchanges this week, and I brought one of the Sisters here to Butterfly. She goes home at the end of this transfer, so she’s quite a seasoned missionary. She taught me so much. I learned the importance of remembering that your schedule (full or not) that you write out in your planner is all still the Lord’s work.  Every minute you spend that day (whether useful or not) is on the Lords time and His errand.  It was a good reminder for me.  She shared some of her own experiences and it gave me hope that 1) the language will continue to come 2) God will eventually provide 3) talk to EVERYONE 4) no time is wasted.

I want to challenge you all this week to find someone, less active or non member, and invite them to do something with you. Maybe you could make cookies, invite them to go to church or go to an activity. Maybe you could just invite them over at a time your family is doing family prayer and scripture study.  As we love those around it, I believe they'll get it one day!  Just don’t give up!

Love you all,

Love Sister Webb

A great hike up to Lions Rock

Beautiful Views!

My roomates!!!


This is Wong Ji Muih, a member in the ward that  prepared a birthday celebration along with Sara and Nico!


The Birthday Feast!

Me and Nico

Sweet Sara, our most recent convert.  She loves the missionaries!

Isn't this the cutest thing ever?

Check out the necklace I'm wearing (not the medallion)

This was Sara's gift to me.  She went a bit overboard.  It is a pure gold band with crosses on it and from my calculations, she paid about $100USD for it:O.  She is a wonderful woman and I felt her love as she presented me this gift!!

No comments:

Post a Comment