Monday, February 27, 2017

The Prodigal Son

This week has gone by so FAST!!  I only have 3 weeks left in the MTC!  Then I'm in CHINA!!  We have a new Cantonese District coming in this week and a whole Mandarin District leaving, so that’s sad. But we're excited to meet this new group of missionaries that will be speaking Cantonese!

I don't know why, but this week the story of the Prodigal Son has been on my mind a lot.  It was also brought up in many lessons throughout the week. We focused a lot on repentance this week in classes and devotionals. It was really humbling. I watching an amazing devotional Elder Bednar gave called  “One by One.”

It is such a tender mercy that the Lord knows each of us One by One. I think the reason God kept reminding me of the Prodigal Son throughout the week was to prepare me for this devotional by Elder Bednar. First I want to review the story with you:

Luke 15: 11-24
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

This story is about a one. Just one person. The Prodigal Son repenting and coming unto Christ. It says that heaven rejoiced for the one soul that repented and came unto Christ.

This week as I've thought a lot about repentance, a very personal story has hit me hard that I want to share. I didn’t think It would be something I would ever share with a lot of people, but it’s very close to my heart and It changed the way I view repentance.

So the day before I went into the temple I had a really humbling experience with one of my  very close friends, Ashlynn. I was sitting in my bed and she was sitting across from me in her bed. All of  the sudden this dark heavy 'low of all lows' feeling overcame me. I started to cry. I told Ash that I wasn’t sure I was worthy to go into the temple. As memories and feelings of mistakes I had made and times I had fallen short washed over me, I cried harder and harder. Ash just sat there and held me. Then she promised me that everything was going to be okay.

That next day when I entered the temple, these feelings of guilt and inadequacy would leave me,  But in that moment I couldn’t let go and forgive myself.   I couldn’t seem to escape the darkness and despair I was feeling.  Lovingly Ash just sat there, comforting me and confirming that I was worth.   I had utilized the gift of repentance many times in my life, and it was time to let go, just as Christ promises, "I will remember your sins no more." So finally I went to bed.

When I entered the temple the next day that familiar spirit of the temple, that I love and had felt before, overcame me. But I was still doubting. Then I went into initiatory. You are promised and blessed with many amazing things during initiatory. I remember walking out of my initiatory knowing with all surety that God had forgiven me and there was no reason to hold on to anything I had already repented of.

Repentance and forgiveness are incredible gifts given to us as the ultimate expression of love from our Savior and Heavenly Father.  There is so much power in these two principles, more than I think we can ever comprehend in this life!  I know without a shadow of a doubt it is a real power. I am so anxious to get the Hong Kong and have the opportunity to invite people to repent!   It is one of the GREATEST gifts God gives us.

I'm so grateful to be serving a mission. I know it's where I need to be. I love this gospel  and its simplicity. I love the blessing we are promised if we keep our promises with God.  I love the example of Jesus Christ that we are so blessed to look up to. I pray that each of you will kneel down this week and offer a prayer of thanks to God for knowing each of us one by one and giving us the opportunity to return to Him one by one. He loves us more than we will ever comprehend!

Ngoh gom gong, yeh sou gei duk ge mihng, A-muhn (:

(One other quick cool experience and challenge if you're interested . . . I was challenged at the beginning of the week to pray to God and ask him what he wants me to pray about and ask for in my prayers.  He knows you better than anyone and He knows what we need. So if you pray and ask for Him to tell you what you need, He WILL and you will receive blessing as you pray to know His will.  It has changed my week! )

Love you all!!
Love Sister Webb


***This is Julie . . . I had an incredible exchange of text messages with Sister Tuttle, Amanda's Branch President's wife, on Sunday.  She sent the pictures below.  We both agreed that she was there at precisely the moment Amanda needed her the most . . . that Sunday afternoon, February 5th, when Amanda needed someone to listen, hug her, and just be there for her.  I affectionately call her Amanda's MTC MOM***

This is picture of them on a walk to the temple Sunday, February 5th.  Sister Tuttle said, "I really love Amanda.  I feel certain that God gave us this moment in time together."

This was a picture yesterday of them taking a temple walk.  Sister Tuttle said, "Amanda is a great missionary!  She has really found her smile!  My husband and I have sent 3 sons and 1 daughter on missions and I know that Heavenly Father recognizes our sacrifice and blesses us for it!"

Amanda's Zone
Me trying to memorize The First Vision in Canto!
Nightime . . . 

 . . . and the Sisters





No comments:

Post a Comment