Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Success and Peace

I have found a key to success on a mission!! You don't measure for success! If you are hard working and rely on the Holy Ghost as your third companion there is no room for disappointment, only peace.
I had two really touching experiences this week.

1)  I was in a lesson with our recent convert Brother Leung. His testimony is so strong, I swear it’s stronger than mine! He is just incredible! So anyway we were doing the lesson and I was having a really hard time trying to translate everything and understand it. I was only getting bits and pieces. So my companion was doing a really good job and keeping things flowing. Then all the sudden I had this feeling of terror hit and I started thinking I'm never going to learn this language! So I started praying. SO HARD! I was praying that my companion would be able to have the Spirit with her so she could share what needed to be shared. Then I started praying that I would be given more opportunities to speak the language.   The second I started that part of my prayer, there was silence in the room and I looked up and apparently Brother Leung had just asked me a question. THIS WAS MY CHANCE! God had given me an opportunity.  But…the question he asked was not what I expected. He asked, "How are you doing adjusting to the Hong Kong culture and the life of a missionary?" Instead of using this opportunity to talk Canto to him, I just started bawling. (One thing I love about the HK culture is everyone has tissues in their bag or pocket, just a tiny little thing of tissues. EVERYONE)  So he pulled out his tissues for me.

When I told him it’s been pretty hard, but very rewarding, he says, "I didn't serve a mission, but I know you are here for a reason and God loves you and has a plan for you like he did for me." Then he pulled out Facebook and showed me this Facebook page of the Sister missionary who introduced him to the church. She finished her mission a few months ago, and he just wanted to show me that she had hard times to, but she also had a purpose.  He told me that everything will be okay for me. WOW. What do you even say in response to that?!  I just started crying harder… haha (: He is such a good example and influence in my life and I am so proud of him and his testimony!

2) Our main progressing investigators, Sara and Nico, told us they wanted to drop their baptismal date and go back to their Catholic church. This was really, really hard. On Saturday we taught them the Law of Tithing and Fasting.  Sara says, "That makes sense, I understand now. I will keep the law of tithing after baptism! And I believe you that fasting will bring blessings." She was VERY receptive and really really happy about it. Then the next day was Easter Sunday. She texted us and said that this church was bringing her more pain then she had ever felt and was giving her too many rules and she was so confused and sad. So we called her and begged her to let us come visit. She said she had no desire to see anyone right now and hung up on us.  We took a bit of time and wrote out a letter in Chinese characters for her, marked a few scriptures in the Book of Mormon, and brought her cookies. We just placed them outside her door and watched from a ways away.  She ended up calling us a few minutes later and asked if we could come back and see her. We went back and talked with her for about 2 hours. Her views didn't change and her desire to not get baptized didn't change. But we testified and offered a kneeling prayer and kept testifying. We realized her foundation was not as strong as we thought, something we wish we would have caught on to earlier. She said she wants us to visit her next month maybe, but she needs more time. We left feeling drained and sad. However, I can testify that the Holy Ghost was our third companion through all of this. I have never had to rely so much on Him in my whole life. I have never felt so much peace either in my whole life. Our success was not measured in numbers or baptisms or investigators. We had done all we could and that was all the Lord asked of us.  Then,with every piece of Heaven God can give to his missionaries, he gave us peace!

Oh how grateful I am to be serving. This is the best thing in the world and I have never felt so blessed and close to God in my whole life. He's the center of everything. I've learned this week that if we are doing everything we can, making Christ and the Holy Ghost the center of the work, and rely entirely of the love of God we are successful. God will never make us run more then we have strength.   If we stay faithful he will give us peace and be with us in every breath.  I am so grateful for my testimony.  It’s what keeps me going.

I love you all.   Remember to pray always and trust in Gods outcome (:

Love, Sister Webb



Decorating Easter Eggs for our English Class



Banana pancakes . . . YUM!

Banana bread for our less active members



Our amazing P-day to Ocean Park last week!





So we wantd to try and study outside and teach the Plan of Salvation to people who passed by.  Instead this group of kids from Pakistan came and took over for us!  This little boy stole our poster and we thought, "Maybe this is good!  He's running around with the Plan of Salvation literally in his hands!  Missionary work at its best!"  It was a fun experience (:  hahahaha




Me and Sister Gomez taking selfies inside the Hing Tit







No comments:

Post a Comment