Sunday, May 14, 2017

Walk With Christ!

I LOVED talking to my family!  It was fun to see Jessica on the other side of the camera and it was fun to laugh with them!  I told them that I’m understanding about 20% of Cantonese conversations now.  It’s coming!  I also told them how much I LOVE the food in HK!  We definitely get fed WAY too much by the members!  We don’t have much luck finding new investigators, but we keep trying.  To put this in perspective, our district goal is 2-3 new investigators to teach per week.  We struggle to meet that goal.

We do spend a lot of time with the members in retention and reactivations efforts.  We are not allowed to proselyte in our area.  We can only teach referrals and people who approach us and ask questions.  Surprisingly, we stay plenty busy though.  We teach English class 3 days per week, we spend one day doing service.  My trainer, Sister Gomes, leaves for home in 4 weeks.  She has been an amazing companion, and become like a sister to me!  I also LOVE my mission president and his wife.  They are so loving!  I feel like they are my parents in HK!

This week I’ve been thinking about the story of Peter walking on water.  I’ve thought about Peter’s courage to get out of the boat and come to Christ.  We’ve been working with an investigator who “won’t get out of the boat”.   She believes Christ is real, she’s coming to church, and reading the scriptures every day. She believes everything is true . . . which you then would think would lead her to be baptized. But no, she denies the invitation every time we extend it. So this has reminded me a lot lately about the need to get out of the boat.

I've found it really helpful in hard times to ask myself, "Where do I stand? Am I in the boat or on the water with Christ?"

Last week I talked about how simple Christ’s invitation to “Come Follow Me” is.  We have to decide if we will stay in the boat and watch him from a distance or walk with Him?

I love something my mission president said about the straight and narrow path in the scriptures.  He told us that it says “straight way” but it sounds like “straight AWAY”.  Perhaps the Lord is urging us to obey and follow Him quickly!

I am so grateful for the ability to gain and strengthen my testimony. Sometimes we don’t realize how important a testimony is.   We should always work to strengthen it and make it our best friend. Without a testimony in any of the principles of the gospel, we have no way to progress or muster enough faith to get out of the boat.

Finally, a quick message of love to Mothers!  I want to first thank them for their gentle chastisements. Thank you for your gentle and loving ways of teaching us how to change and improve so we can live in harmony with the Spirit. Thank you for being there every step of the way . . . for making us laugh, laughing with us, watching us cry and crying with us, and guiding our steps so lovingly. I am so grateful for the mothers that have surrounded me throughout my life. You have each taught me something and I hope to emulate your examples someday!  I love you all and hope you had an amazing Mother’s Day!

Love, Sister Webb

This little thing everyone is doing with their fingers is super popular in HK!  It is suppose to look like a heart:)


This is pic looking up from our flat. The building is 34 stories high and we live on the 32nd floor

Our district

Yummy dim sum at a members home


This is Helaman, a member that helped us Skype today from the church

No comments:

Post a Comment