Tuesday, August 15, 2017

A Princess with Butterflies by Mary Jane Tuttle

This poem was given to Amanda by Sister Tuttle who was like a mother to Amanda in the MTC.  Sister Tuttle's husband was in the Branch Presidency in Amanda's branch at the MTC.  Amanda felt the words of this poem come to life this week as she courageously opened her mouth and trusted the Lord to fill it with the words she needed to say this week . . . 

A Princess with Butterflies
                                     
By Mary Jane Tuttle




I remember, as a little girl, crying to my Mama,

I’m afraid to sing my song to them,
Standing up there all alone.
My knees are always shaking
And my voice has a frightened tone.

My stomach’s sick, my head is light,
My heart is pounding so.
I want to share this pretty song,
But please don’t make me go.

Then Mama sweetly comforted,

               My dear you just have butterflies,
Think how funny if they’re real.
Talk to the pretty flutterers,
And tell them to hold still.

You’re Heavenly Father’s princess
He’s always there for you,
He’ll use your voice and spirit
To share His love through you.

Sometime later I went to Mom,
A little older, but being no less frightened, I cried,

I’m afraid to give my lesson,
Standing up there all alone.
I’ve studied, listened, read and prayed,
I know that I have grown.

Yet my stomach’s sick, my head is light
My heart is pounding so.
I want to share this message,
But I’m scared that it won’t flow.

Then Mama knowingly replied,
              
Honey, you’re learning humility,
               Your reliance on your God,
               Through is the Spirit teaches,
               As you grasp the iron rod.

             
Be grateful for your butterflies
               And think of them as real.
               Think how high they’ve learned to fly,
               Then tell them to hold still.

               You’re Heavenly Father’s princess
               And He’s always there for you,
               He’ll use your preparation
               To share His love through you.

Just recently I sat by my mother, and I cried,

               Oh Mama, look I’m all grown up,
               But I’m not feeling very wise.
               I thought I’d be so in control
               When I grew to this size.

               I’m afraid of all this challenge,
               Work, family, church, and home.
               I want to have, and be, and do
               But I feel so all alone.

               My stomach’s sick, my head is light.
               My heart is pounding so.
               I want to be so perfect,
               But I have too far to go.

Then Mama tenderly helped me,

               Dear child you’re having growing pains,
               I know they bother so,
               But as long as you still have them,
               You’re having a chance to grow.

               Can you think of them as butterflies,
               And think how they must feel,
               With all their lovely changes?
               Just ask them to hold still.

               You’re Heavenly Father’s Princess,
               He’s always here with you.
               He’s much more eager than you think
               To share His love with you.


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment