Sunday, January 28, 2018

Don't Worry! Be Happy!

I think this song was meant to go in the hymn book!  Don’t Worry, Be Happy!  I have fallen in love with Elder Uchtdorf’s talk, “Three Sisters”. It has WAY deeper meaning than is taught on the surface and I’m reminded that our modern day prophets teach in parables just like the Savior did.  ( I loved hearing Pres. Nelson speak to us this week also!  I know He is called of God!)

Anyway, back to the talk by Elder Uchtdorf. . . he talks about being a disciple of Jesus Christ:  "The third sister represents the authentic disciple of Jesus Christ. She did something that can be extremely hard to do: she trusted God even in the face of ridicule and hardship. Somehow she maintained her faith and hope, despite the scorn and cynicism around her. She lived joyfully not because her circumstances were joyful but because she was joyful."

So in HK we'd say, "Mh saai daam sam!"  = Don't worry!  Just be happy!   We are all going to have bad days and have to do hard things.  What matters most is how we endure it.  Did we have hope and try to find joy in the journey?  Did we exercise faith and pray?  We don’t have to be happy and smiling all the time, but if we understand God’s plan for us, we can trust Him and be patient with His timing.

I think about Jesus Christ a lot.  I’m sure He wasn’t smiling when He was spit on, scorned, mocked, or nailed to a cross. But His faith and purpose and understanding was full. He was perfect.  He knew what He was about and He knew He had to willingly do what He did.  In the end, 3 days after His death, He rose, full of joy! He maintained his faith and hope, He trusted God’s plan,  and even though His circumstances weren’t all that joyful, He was joyful.  So people!  Don’t worry, be happy!

Two quick stories to make you laugh:

My companion has named herself, "My glorified secretary” (:  The other day she was trying to talk to someone and was going to compliment this woman’s coat.  She says, "ngoh hou jung yi leih ge leuih." (English: "I really like your daughter." hahaha )  We didn’t get to keep talking to that woman.

I don’t remember if I told this story, but we taught a lesson and I tried to tell them that the Spirit is different for every person.  I said, "Some feel love, warmth, peace and comfort.  Some "faht peih hei" (English = throw a tantrum)... I meant to say, "hei gaai peih" (English = goosebumps.. aayya!)  What can you do?  I guess none of us are perfect!

Love you all!




Love, Sister Webb

A member invited us to the go on a day trip this P-Day to the island of Tai O.  Tai O is a small little fishing village and it was charming.  They say this is a look into "Old World Local Hong Kong"













The Kwun family invited anyone in the ward who wanted to come over for FHE.  We had a great time!




No comments:

Post a Comment