Sunday, January 28, 2018

Suffer Ye Thus Far

I can’t even put into words the things I have learned this week. I want to start off though by sharing a scripture:  Luke 22:51.  This chapter is about Christ’s Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Imagine Christ walking out of the garden after he had just performed the first part of the Atonement. He is tired, weighed down, and wearing a blood stained gown. He walks out of the grove and He sees this multitude of people coming to take him captive and kill him.  Then Judas walks up to Him and kisses his face. You can only imagine the sense of betrayal He felt. When His disciples realize what’s happening, you can imagine they themselves were a little terrified.  In an effort to scare off the multitude of people, one of the disciples of Christ smites the ear off of one of the servants. Jesus answers in the most profound, loving way possible.  He reaches up and He touches the ear of the servant and says, "Suffer ye thus far." Tears come to my eyes as my heart hears these words.

I have been sick this week, and it hasn’t been the easiest. I lost my voice so I couldn’t talk to anyone.  I got a high fever and pinkeye, so I didn’t have a lot of strength and I couldn’t see very well so I had to stay inside and "rest" (a word I resent on as a missionary).   One day it got so bad a Sister asked me if I had considered a Priesthood blessing.  I had, but being the selfish prideful person I am, I didn’t feel confident enough to ask for one.  So when she mentioned something I jumped at the idea and the Elders came over in the next 10 minutes. He gave me the most beautiful blessing in the world. I could feel the love Jesus has for me.  The blessing was full of hope and promises and gratitude.  I got the blessing, then took a nap and when I woke up it was just me and this other Sister.   I was still not in a good position to go outside and proselyte, so we stayed in and she and I talked and listened to General Conference talks and cried at the realization of God’s love for us.  Then the next night, the same things happened but with a different Sister . . . And then again the next day with my companion!  As I had the chance to sit and talk personally with these three Sisters, I saw something that I have never seen before. . .God will only let us 'suffer thus far.'

As I talked with these Sisters and we talked about our missions and our lives, I felt so much gratitude that our suffering can be lessened through Christ.  He suffered even until death, and during His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, even past death, it is said that no mortal man could have suffered the pains and anguish he suffered.

This reminded me that even when I’m feeling horrible and crying out for His help, He is carrying so  much of our sorrow, pain and suffering.  He lets us fight a little and suffer a little because of our mortality, but he will  ONLY let us 'suffer thus far.' Oh how grateful I am for Christ’s character and His loving sacrifice. I know with assurety and all  my heart that Christ lives, loves, guides and protects us. I know that He suffered even until death for you and me and everyone else.  Please remember the love and mercy He has for you and the people around you. Please remember that whatever you may be suffering, to turn to Christ and say, "Thank you for loving me enough to carry most of my fight with your might."

I was in the doctor’s office waiting for my appointment, and the thought came to me to start a discussion with these sick people waiting to see a doctor. Had I had this though in a hospital in Utah, before the mission, I would have thought I was CRAZY! But this was a distinct impression that turned into a desire in my heart to start a conversation.   So with my voice that you couldn’t hear very well and in my broken Cantonese, I complimented someone’s contacts from the other side of the room.  Me and my companion started a conversation with everyone in the room!  This led us to finding out the lady at the desk had some Mormon friends give her a flyer about the church. Then the woman across the room moved closer to us so she could hear us and we gave her our number.  Then the guy in the corner of the room learned that not all Mormons are insanely rich! (haha).  There were many more miracles as well.   Open your mouth you guys! God puts people in your path for a reason and has blessings to poor out if you are willing to do this marvelous work that has come forth among the children of men!

I love you all and wish I had more time to write all the miracles that happened this week!
I hope you all stay healthy, but  if you get sick, try to figure out what God wants you to learn from it!

Love, Sister Webb



My Sick Days Begin . . . 





No comments:

Post a Comment